City of Bakersfield Garbage Services is operated by the Solid Waste Division.
4101 Truxtun Avenue, Bakersfield, CA 93309
Phone (661) 326-3114
Business Hours: 8 am - 5 pm
Automated Refuse & Recycling Containers
Bakersfield households are provided with three containers;
- ONE GREEN CART- Yard trimmings, grass, brush, untreated construction wood, sawdust, tree limbs and sod.
Materials Not Accepted: Trash, palm leaves, wood treated with creosote or Arsenic (such as telephone poles or railroad ties), Formica, any material over 24 inches in diameter, dirt, tumbleweeds, hazardous materials, and excrement. The cart may not be serviced if the lid is not completely closed.
- ONE TAN CART - All regular household trash accepted.
- ONE BLUE CART - Cardboard, junk mail, newspaper, magazines, office paper, aluminum/steel cans, phone books, brown paper bags, #1- #7 plastic containers, and green, brown, clear glass.
Materials Not Accepted: Garbage, oily/dirty paper, polystyrene packaging/containers, yard waste, computer parts, plastic wrap, foil drink containers (Capri Sun), plastic hangers and packaging, plastic grocery/dry cleaning bags and hazardous waste (paints, oils, solvents).
- Carts should be out by 6 a.m. on your assigned pick-up days.
- Cart is to be facing the street (or alley) and leave at least 4 feet of space around it.
- Carts are labeled with your cart serial number. This is provided to help you and us identify lost, stolen, damaged, or misplaced carts.
- Missing containers at the same address will be billed for replacement to the property owner at the current replacement cost.
The City or contractor will repair or replace all damaged containers at no charge, except those damaged due to negligence or abuse by the customer.
Facility Phone Numbers
- Solid Waste Division (661) 326-3114 FAX (661) 852-2121
- Keep Bakersfield Beautiful (661) 326-3539
- Kern County Recycling Hotline (661) 862-8979
- Kern County Waste Management (661) 862-8900 Toll Free (800) 552-KERN (option 6)
- Mt. Vernon Recycling & Composting Facility (661) 835-8873 FAX (661) 831-1429
Your Collection Service & Holiday Schedules
Use our NEW Collection Services Lookup tool to find your collection schedule for Garbage, Green Waste, and Recycling. Simply enter your address, choose your cart schedule, then click Find It.
Holidays that may affect your collection services are: January 1st, July 4th, Thanksgiving Day, and December 25th. All other holidays will not affect your regular trash service.
- If your trash service falls on or after a holiday, service will be delayed one day that week.
- For example, if the holiday falls on a Tuesday, Monday’s service will not be affected, but Tuesday’s service will be delayed to Wednesday, Wednesday’s service will be delayed to Thursday, and so forth.